Ask Dr Crime

Dr. Crime is a pseudonym for a social scientist holding a Ph.D. degree in sociology and in criminology. He has worked in all major parts of the criminal justice system. Drop him a note at the website if you or your child is in trouble. If you have custody issues he may be able to help. Give him a call (252-339-0000).

Dear Dr. Crime: Is the recent widespread attention to assaults on women an indication we should be concerned about our daughters’ mental health. Both girls have times they are so sad it makes me fearful? Lucy

Dear Lucy. If assault happens at all you should take precautions. Research suggests there is reason to worry. In January I wrote a response to a young girl about how to respond to assault. I encourage you to read that just in case. Your concerns are more about the depressed feelings of girls, and you have touched an important area. The Carolina Journal and the Psychological Bulletin reported frightening statistics. Broad and scientifically strong research has found that approaching half of teen age girls are depressed. Boys have less than half of that number. Social images of perfection expected of girls is evident in many forms of media. Let your girls know you love them, and that no one is perfect. For information on the disproportionate rapes by gender, and how most sexual assaults are unreported, see the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. For ways to respond see the Fear 2 Freedom project in Virginia.

Dear Dr. Crime: Are we seeing more hate in the world that was previously true? Alarmed.

Dear Alarmed. YES ! The Southern Poverty Law Center has reported research showing that hate groups have hit a 20 year high. The media was all over that and you can find many references to it. We now have over a thousand different hate groups, involving not just the KKK but Neo-Nazi groups, Black Nationalist groups and others. The FBI reports they found 7,775 hate related criminal events in 2017 and 6,121 in 2016. Hate must be better understood. Seen the USA Today article of 2/20/2019 on this topic.

Dear Dr. Crime: My son is a student at __________ University. His girlfriend tells him if she reports his “sexual behavior” to the Dean they will have a formal trial on campus. He will be publically questioned by the Dean for all to hear. What is going on? That sounds like a criminal trial, not an education process. Broke Parent

Dear Parent. I get your point, and yes, you pay a lot for college. What the girlfriend described is covered by the U.S. Department regulation Title IX, the gender equality law. Under President Obama handling of sex allegations was believed to be biased in favor of the accused. The current Secretary of Education has proposed new rules so it will be some time before we know the final rules. The proposed rules would involve a live hearing with cross examinations and a reduction in the types of cases school would have to investigate.

Dear Dr. Crime: How do I get a copy of my criminal record? Unnamed.

Dear Unnamed. For your federal record, which can be secured electronically, go to and see what the FBI has on you. For local records go to your sheriff or police department.

Dear Dr. Crime: What is Interpol? Crook

Dear Crook: It is the intergovernmental agency providing transnational policing. Many issues arise when dealing with multiple governments and crime.

Dear Dr. Crime: What is the Bill of Rights? Student

Dear Student: Our American Bill of Rights are the first ten amendments to the United States Constitution. When the founding fathers wrote our Constitution, there was a lot of argument about the personal freedoms and rights involved. I encourage you to discuss this in detail in your class.

Dear Dr. Crime: Who are the most wanted criminals in America? Wife

Dear Wife. Probably not your husband. But the FBI keeps a public list of the 10 most wanted and those at the top, as of February 1, 2019, are Robert William Fisher, Alexis Flores, Jason Derek Brown, Yaser Abdel Said, and Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel.

Also, if your child is a “youthful offender” and- or having problems with drugs, Dr. Crime can offer confidential suggestions on how to work with the criminal justice system. Or, a formal criminological report for a court or other authority may help. For more information see or email